Bios are strange things that describe a person, but don’t really give you a sense of who they are. I will share with you what is important to me, so that you can know me better, as well as some of my story, as I see it at this stage of my life.
The path I walk
I was born Kathleen Elizabeth Hanagan on June 1, 1952, smack dab in the middle of a post World War II “father knows best” reality that was soon to be upended by a fiercely loving and fiercely rebellious new generation. Growing up in the 60’s and 70’s rocked. I count myself blessed to have ridden that first wave of deep change, and have been riding the waves every since.
My path is one of commitment to Love, and doing my own work of clearing whatever obstacles to love arise. I am a psychotherapist, spiritual teacher, modern mystic, poetess, and author. My teaching is based on weaving the essential wisdom of the great spiritual traditions with scientific knowledge, and 30 years working intimately with individuals, couples and groups—as well as what I have learned personally on my own quest for liberation.
With the clarity that comes from one familiar with the territory of the heart, I teach you how to walk between the worlds at this time of the Great Remembering—which means you learn to fulfill your soul’s true purpose, by learning to live from your essence, in full integrity and prosperity. My book, Activating Your Loveseed: Revealing The Blueprint For A Better World, shows us how to create miracles through shifts in our perception, that allow us to trance-end the fear that creates personal and collective pain.
What has my attention these days…
There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t wonder at the magnificence of the dance of creation in both my personal life and in the world. I also have thoughts like these, which are based on my feelings about the world:
- How isolated people are and how there is this illusion of being connected via technology that is creating a sense of disembodiment. We need to come home to our own bodies and one another. I am doing that more myself.
- How important it is that we all receive enough nurturance, from the very beginning of life.
- How essential it is that the older generation of “boomers” remain awake and fully engaged at this time.
- How key it is that the younger generation now stepping into the forefront be open to receive guidance, and at the same time be brave enough to show a new way.
- I keep noticing the power of innocence. My second book is about that topic, inspired by my grandson, Jack Henry.
- I want to be even more devoted.
- Healing my left knee after years of too much running
- Continuing to shift my relationship with time so that I remember there is all the time in the world to do what is important.
- Remembering the big design of life and the perfection in all things, including what is difficult.
- Knowing what is mine to do, no more, no less, and focusing in on that.
- It’s up to me to stay steady and manage my own energy.
- Remaining radically connected to my body and to the earth is essential.
- Compassion is at the heart of all healing.
- Creativity is essential.
- We are all in this together.
- Our challenges are what our souls need to reclaim ourselves as the Divine.
- Love trumps fear every time.
Simple things that help me…
- Meditation and walks in nature with my dog Sophie.
- Preparing whole foods for myself, and even better, for people I care about. I am always looking for such moments!
- Yoga and Pilates and walking with intention.
- Being with family and friends.
- My work. I am blessed with work that asks me to remain awake!
- Ecstatic dance gatherings where the movement of Five Rhythms is played.
- Sacred ceremonies such as sweat lodges, and connecting with the healing power of plants.
- Staying on task with my writing. Discipline.
- Poetry–mine and others.
- Getting away on a new adventure on a regular basis
- Speaking out my gratitude and praying every morning.
- Sharing a rip roaring laugh with someone I really love.
Where else can you find me?
- Amazon Author Page
- Phone 571-305-5499
- 2106 Mt. Vernon Ave, Suite 204, Alexandria, VA 22305
If you are ready to liberate yourself from the shackles of fear and lean in the direction of love, get in touch, and we can set a time to speak.
Some more of my story…
In 1989, I graduated from Columbia School of Social Work, which was one of the high points of my life. I had three children, ages 11, 9, and 8, at that time, and my marriage was unraveling.
I focused on transforming myself in my individual work, and sought the guidance of several couple’s therapists, yet still chose to separate.
After healing from the breakup, I traveled and reveled in my freedom, which was such a strong value. I considered myself a fortunate and happy woman, helping many people, still a hippie at heart, able to enjoy life fully.
Then something happened. I faced a loss that shook me at the core. I realized that I was grieving all my “unlived life”—parts of me that I had shelved, put to the side, for the benefit of family, children, husband, career, profession. I was being called to something more than the life I had created.
Within 9 months, I had sold my home, closed my practice, and was living in Peru, in the high Andes.
I had taken a quantum leap, into the unknown. Soon I was traveling to the jungle and experiencing powerful healing plant medicine journeys, befriending shamans and holy beings who are here to serve.
I participated in ceremonies at 18,000 feet, chewed coca leaves, and after 11 months in Peru, ended up on a silent Oneness retreat in India. I returned to the States after one year, an entirely new woman.
The re-entry was not easy. I built a magnificent temple in the heart of Falls Church, 8 miles from DC. I had my hands in the dirt as often as I could, to remain grounded, and I received powerful transmissions from the earth, as I had in Peru. At the time, I did not know where it was all headed, so I kept putting one foot in front of the other, listening, following the voice inside,
I entered into my Priestess phase, holding ceremonies and the space for growth and healing. My soul was leading the way, having me reclaim these familiar parts of self that had not been nurtured in my Boston Irish Catholic beginnings. This lasted until 2010, when the call to come out of hiding and shine my light on the world stage became too loud to ignore.
As always, I would learn through my own experience. I succumbed to the hype and empty promises of the online marketing world, and I entered into a very dark time where I once again had to face disowned parts of myself.
I am reminded of David Whyte’s beautiful poem, Sweet Darkness:
“Sometimes it takes darkness and the sweet confinement of your aloneness to learn anything or anyone that does not bring you alive is too small for you.”
What I learned along the way, and much more, I share in my book, Activating Your Loveseed: Revealing The Blueprint For A Better World.
I now live in a beautiful village in northern Virginia called Del Ray, 4 miles from Washington, DC., with my 20-year old Bichon Frise, Sophie. I see clients in my office, on the phone or via skype or zoom with people all over the world. I run workshops and groups to help people be the best versions of themselves.
Being with my grown children makes my heart sing! I am now a grandmother, which has opened up a whole new chapter of loving!
I am living proof, at 65, that you are never too old for your purpose, and that, as Joseph Campbell, author of The Power Of Myth, said, “We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.”
PS If you want the worldly resume, click here.
The Earth Wisdom School Newsletter: